Thursday, November 13, 2008

Happy Meal: "Boy or Girl?" UGH!!

In regards to Happy Meals: A company as large as McDonalds should be very aware of sexual predisposition... a suggestion that a male or female is predisposed to choose a certain thing or act based on sex. In this day and age, corporations are required to ignore sexual predisposition, because of the possible threat of sexual discrimination law suits.
That said, may I PLEASE suggest to McDonalds that your employees STOP asking "Boy or Girl?" when a Happy Meal is ordered!! Asking "Boy or Girl?" is soooooo 1980! Perhaps the question could be, "Truck or Doll?" or "Transpormer or Barbie?". Honestly, it irks me when I get asked that question, not only because it is sexually discriminating, but because I feel bad for the parent that has to say, "Boy.", simply because their little girl may want the Transformer (or what McDonalds deems to be a "boy" toy) instead of the Barbie that day. Imagine how the little girl may feel when her mommy says "Boy." into the drive-through speaker... or how a boy feels when his parent has to say, "Girl."
I wrote to McDonalds on this subject at an earlier time...several years ago. I would have hoped that this issue would not be taken so lightly. My children are 17 and 14 now... beyond the age of ordering Happy Meals. However, my 14-year-old daughter wanted a Happy Meal the other day, and I was, again, asked that question... reminding me once again that this issue has not been dealt with.

No comments: